Claiming the Child Care Subsidy
- care for a child 13 or younger and not attending secondary school, unless an exemption applies
- use an approved child care service
- responsible for paying the child care fees
- meet residency and immunisation requirements
If your child has not attended child care for 8 continuous weeks, Centrelink will cancel your enrolment details in their system.
If you have more than 44 absences per year, your subsidy will be closed.
The Hourly Rate cap for OSHC is $10.29.
For more information, https://www.humanservices.gov.au/individuals/services/centrelink/child-care-subsidy
- Income Test
Easiest way to claim is online via the MyGov portal. Your income may affect how much subsidy you receive.
- Activity Test
The number of hours of Child Care Subsidy a family is entitled to per fortnight is determined by an activity test. The more hours of activity parents do, the more subsidised care they can access.
- Centre Enrolment
Ensure forms are returned to centre with intended bookings. Centre will then submit your child’s enrolment details so you can confirm with Centrelink.
- Confirm Enrolment and Details
Ensure details and bookings are correct, and confirm. You do not receive subsidy until you have received your assessment notice.
Note: You can be reimbursed for up to 28 days.
Additional Child Care Subsidy:
If you’re eligible for Child Care Subsidy you may be able to get extra help with the cost of approved child care.
- meet the eligibility requirements for Child Care Subsidy, and
- be an eligible grandparent getting an income support payment
- be transitioning from certain income support payments to work, or
- be experiencing temporary financial hardship
What will Fees look like?
Statements are sent out on a fortnightly basis on a Monday, and direct debits are processed on the Friday of that week (in line with the public service payweek)
- We debit for bookings two weeks in advance
- Including any amount owing (i.e any extra days booked)
Your bank account statement will show a debit which incorporates:
- The Direct Debit fee
- Visa/Mastercard 2.35%
- AMEX 4.40%
- Bank account $0.88
- Once off Admin fee $2.20
- The Centrelink 5% subsidy withholding
- You can adjust this amount with Centrelink if you do not expect your salary to change over the year
- Cost for bookings
- You pay the gap between the what the centre charges and your subsidy from Centrelink
- Any extra-curricular costs which are booked through the centre
- For example, taekwondo or art class